Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Making the Impossible...Possible

It is amazing what assistive technology can do for those who can't do for themselves.  I have watched several youtube videos on assistive technology, and the one that touched me most was Amy's speech. Amy has a disability that doesn't allow her to speak, and limits her activity.  She has to rely on assistive technology to speak for her.

What Amy is using is the ECO device, which is an Augmentive and Alternative Communication device or AAC.  This device allows Amy to speak, although she can't use her own voice.  Amy also is using the TouchChat application on her iPad.  In the video she demonstrates how both work.

I feel that this type of assistive technology helps Amy feel a little more, or a lot more like everyone else.  She is just like any other girl and likes the things that normal girls like.  Not that Amy is not normal, she is special.  I admire her desire to do speeches in front of big crowds, and how she loves to do it.  Without the technology that has been offered to her, she would have not been as successful as she is now.  And by successful, I mean happy.

I remember when I was in school, those with disabilities literally were just in the class and did nothing. I know deep inside that they yearned to learn just like every other student in the class.  They just didn't have the voice to shout it out to the world.  Amy is truly an inspiration, not just to those with disabilities, but to everyone.  This type of assistive technology makes the impossible...possible.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is such a Cinderella story for Amy. I remember having an experience similar to yours when I was young. Mostly everyday throughout my educational years, I would see a disabled classmate come into the classroom. I felt bad for them because there was no technology anywhere near them to help them participate and learn during the classroom discussions. I'm glad that Amy is able to live up to her full potential with the use of available technologies. I hope that the government of Guam will make a difference and try to get a variety of assistive technologies out to the disabled students on island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is a great metaphor for the entire field of assistive technology: "finding your voice".

    ReplyDelete