Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Down the Rabbit Hole Response

picture courtesy of: http://students.ou.edu/S/Kori.E.Shewmaker-1/classroomnews.html
I found the first article very interesting. Mainly talking about how education got started. I agree with the article that play is a child's first teacher. Even now babies and children learn by playing. It's interesting though how education evolved. From being purely play to using play as a bargain tool. Not fair! Learning is in the environment. Let's play! The first video, honestly, confused me. But what I enjoyed are the illustrations, it kept me engaged. The one part that caught my attention is the part about the children with ADHD, or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Why do they medicate the children, rather than divert their attention to something more educational. I don't think that these children are in their right state of mind under the medications. How are they supposed to learn? Changing education paradigms, perhaps I didn't quite understand it. However, the video TED Talk made a lot of sense to me. I believe we do need to integrate more technology into the classroom. We are living in the age of technology, and its only the beginning of it. And who is to say that we can't do more than we are expected. I'm speaking in reference to the daughter who started playing Journey and her teacher tells her that she can't, or not supposed to be. If the internet and technology can teach us more than what we get in the classroom, the more power to our students. These three pieces of literature didn't really change my outlook on education. I still believe in paper and pencil, I still believe in tests, I still believe in hard copy books, but I also believe that technology enhances these things in the classroom, and in our world. Students need to be learning the tools of today, and so the teachers. Teachers need to be educated and taught about the new technology. The saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks," does not apply to teachers.

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Especially about children with ADHE. The drug they use is very addicting and can be dangerous to the health. There is no need for this. It affects the normal way a child lives his or her life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes teachers overestimate the ability of students. Some, but not all, downgrade their students because they want to be the superior model in the classroom. I think that it was a wrong thing for the to do when he/she refrained her from learning through the computer. With the increasing amount of technology, students especially teachers should take advantage of that opportunity. It will better their education and make their lives easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that the video by Sir Ken Robinson was confusing at times. It contained a great deal of information. However, I know a few people who suffer from ADD and ADHD and I can tell you that it is a very confusing behavioral disorder not only for the child but their parents as well as teachers. One person in particular couldn't have made it through law school without such medication to help her focus. A drawback of taking Ritalin was that it kept her up all night. So, I'm on the border when it comes to medicated our children who suffer from this disorder. Maybe there is a way of managing it but who are we to say what is right? We must understand that what works for one may not work for all..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Students get trained in school how to do well in school. Some will succeed, some will not, and many fall in between. At some point they have to leave school. What they will find is that what they learned in school really isn't what they will need in their occupations. One author describes this as "highly educated useless people". It's OK, because most of them will then learn what they need on the job, but looking back they'll think, "Why did I have to learn that stuff?" Their time in school can be better spent.

    ReplyDelete